www.flickr.com

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Eleven

I finally got the nerve up to count down the days until I depart for my adventures in the magical land of Europe: 11! I am mostly nervous about flying over the Atlantic, therefore I will probably spend the next few nights testing out various over-the-counter sleeping pills that will aid me in surviving my overnight journey to the UK. I am mostly kidding, but only because someone already recommended Tylenol PM :) The biggest challenge of my travel preparations is deciding what to pack. I have already been agonizing over this in my mind for quite some time, but I'm determined to not procrastinate on this matter like the rest! I have a feeling I will be doing a lot of shopping once I get over there, mostly for galoshes and umbrellas. I hear Wellington, or Wellies, are all the rage over there. And for some ungodly reason, these exist:

John Deere Wellies
 Ew. Although, perhaps they would remind me of the rolling farm hills of home in Wisconsin...

I should probably invest in a Wisco or Sconnie t-shirt to wear over there in case I run into any fellow Wisconsinites or midwesterners and fail to recognize them by the sharp "ay" vowels or use of the vocab. bubbler or pop.

I'm really hoping my accent doesn't get made fun of too much. I never even realized I have an accent until I went on a cruise and was stuck on a big boat with a bunch of Southerners. My friends Samantha who did an internship in London this summer said her colleagues gave her a hard time for hers, and  bur maybe that's just city folk. I will be in a small village in Southern England. I am interested ot hear if that region has a different British accent compared to the generic one I have heard in British tv & movies!

Beach at Bognor Regis, in Sussex




This is a picture of the one of the piers in the town I will be living and teaching in. This is kind of what I expect the weather will be like for the majority of the time. Gray and rainy. But it will at least be significantly warmer than at home in Madison!

No comments:

Post a Comment